Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Untranslated Lit: Corazón Tan Blanco (A Heart So White)



Corazón Tan Blanco (1992) is a novel by Javier Marías. It is a mesmerising book which starts with the suicide of a woman in the past. The reason for the suicide will be revealed in the penultimate chapter. The narrator, Juan, has just got married to Luisa and has thus started mourning for his abstract future: "And now what?" His father, Ranz, was married twice before marrying Juan's mother Juana. His second wife, Teresa, was Juana's sister and the woman whose death is described on the first chapter. The reader never finds out about the first wife until the reason for Teresa's death is revealed.
This is one of the best novels I have read recently and has whetted my appetite for more of the writer's books. Years ago I read the excellent Todas las Almas (All Souls) and I think it is high time I got reacquainted.

No comments: